April was a busy month for the Triwaters Team! Our start date is still far in the future, but there’s no time to ponder. We must get this show on the water! We welcomed seasoned media liaison Helen Ueckermann to our team. Social media in the form of Facebook and twitter is live. Our website is officially online. We sent out our first official media release.
Team member Troy Glover has accepted the role of sponsor coordinator. Sponsors are welcome to liaise through him, or through their original point of contact in the team.
Brett Merchant took on the responsibility of coordinating our equipment needs. His expedition on the Murray river makes him the most experienced member when it comes to long term expeditions of this nature.
Triwaters need R170,000 (South African Rand) as core funding for the expedition. This includes the cost of all gear and airfare for the international team members among others. However the goal is to generate at least R340,000, with the excess funding (Above the core R170,000) going to the Wildlife and Environment Society of South Africa.
50% of core funding has already been secured through private funding and equipment sponsorship. Triwaters have a great value proposition for corporates and brands who want to become involved.
In the coming months we will also start with crowd funding, which will provide exciting benefits to private individuals that want to contribute.
Launching our social media platforms just over a month ago, we already have 102 followers on Facebook and twitter. The numbers are growing on a daily basis.
Franz, Troy and Brett are also promoting the site through their blogs and social media, which include: The Trailblazer Guide, Trayban and Brett’s Facebook page of his Murray river expedition.
The team is currently engaging with various international bloggers to bring more exposure to the cause, who we will mention in person in the near future.
Troy and Brett are currently working on their visas for South Africa, making sure that all the paperwork is in place well ahead of time.
In the near future
Our followers and supporter can expect great and exciting things in the near future which includes:
- A proper introduction to our cause: River conservation. We will explain how we will use Riverside Talks and mini-SASS to leverage education opportunities at schools and riverside communities, encouraging them to take ownership of river health in their immediate surroundings.
- Our current sponsors: We will introduce you to our formal supporters. Where they sponsor equipment, we will explain the equipment choice and alternatives we considered.
- Our project partner: WESSA is one of the oldest non-profits on South Africa. We will shed some light on what they do, how they help us, and how we want to help them.
- Crowd funding: We are in discussion with a crowd sourcing platform, through which the public can also get involved in funding Triwaters with some exciting benefits coming in the next few months.
- Media exposure: We plan to secure radio and tv interviews as well as exposure in the printed press over the coming months. Proper announcements will be made on our blog and social media as it happens.
- The team: An introduction of the personalities behind the Triwaters Tour.
We want to thank our equipment sponsors Fluid Kayaks and Canoe Concepts for their commitment to our plans, and WESSA for their endorsement and financial administration. Parties interested in formally supporting us or aligning their brand with our project may contact Franz or Troy for more information.
Please support those that support us. Go check them out and say hi!